Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A New Challenge in Life


The ADHD brain offers less guidance and structure than the neurotypical brain. Where someone else might sit to write a to-do list for their day off and come up with 7 items to complete, my brain lists 2 of the top 3 things I need to do (forgetting what the 3rd was) and then add 20 more items to the list. After a review of the list, I would recognize it was too much to do in one day, feel overwhelmed, and then go do something else (or lose the damn list).

You can imagine the challenges that face me in my new phase in life: being a stay-at-home mom. With an infant that only cries when a routine is placed on him so I won't be able to lean on the child's schedule, either.

I'm thinking general routines will be good or nothing but weight gain and insanity will ensue. A good place to start might be making sure I get outside for physical activity every day. I'm in my last sprint before student teaching so time for homework and a little time for observing teachers will also be necessary.

The last time I tried this my husband helped but I lost the schedule on Day 2. He's rarely mad, and almost never at me, but he was that time so I was warned I'd be on my own the next time around.

Maybe it's time to call my mom.


1 comment: